Weight Loss Tracker

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Mum's Update

So it's been a week since I've managed to get an update on here and I'm sure everyone wants to know how my mum is.

As of last night, she's doing good. She's recovered well from the surgery which is fabulous. She's up and about although still on pain killers. She ended up having a full hysterectomy but bladder and bowel is attached. I think she's more relieved she has her bowel than anything else. The doctor has indicated that he CANNOT give the all clear as he found fibroids and other "masses" that he cannot identify. They been sent away for analysis but the results are not expected back for 7-10 days after surgery. On the good side, he's also said that whatever it is is contained and has all been removed. Have to say it's a nerve-wracking time as we wait - I've decided to stay longer than planned so that I'm here ready for the results. I'm planning on being back in the UK at the end of February for a work trip and will plan on staying then also. The hospital ward that Mum is on is pretty good by UK health standards - each room only has 4 beds and it's quiet too. they also have a room where patients can entertain, make tea/coffee etc. Nurses are great too.

Weird thing happened at the hospital yesterday....Mum's on Stour Ward, but apparently on weekends they close that ward and she has to go to Waveney ward. Something to do with cost cutting etc. Yeah....whatever. So, you have to put up with it and say "OK" which was fine...... until the nurses came in 3 hours before they were planning on moving and asked the patients to pack up their stuff. Now that's ridiculous....these people have had MAJOR surgery - how can yo uask them to bend down and pick stuff up. Don't get me wrong....it's not the nurses' fault - they're running round picking up everything from TVs to blood pressure monitors and locking them away as apparently they'll get stolen if they don't. Can you imagine? I've decided that 10 years in America has changed what I consider acceptable....

Other stuff - Tim, Dad and I have hung out a lot which has been great. Also met up with Jenny and Frankie for a beer last night and we're seeing Diana and Charlie tonight. On Sunday I'm spending time with Debbie. Should be fabulous. Now I'm staying another week I'll look up other people too.

Work has been great, so supportive i couldn't ask for anything else. I've managed to do a few things, but certainly I've dropped off on a few too....I'm going to catch up this weekend and then get cracking this week.

On the TV front in England they have a few good programs. One of them that I'm hooked on is Rock School. For those of you who've seen the movie School of Rock....it's the reality version of that. Gene Simmons (KISS) - aka arrogant american rock star - goes into a school and has a month to turn a bunch of kids into a rock band. The one I watched last week was going into a Surrey boarding school and turning 10 kids who play classical music into a rock band who opened for Motorhead in London. It was great..... not that I generally get into reality TV that much - but there's little on and only 4 channels at Tim's. It was pretty good.

Finally got over the jetlag...went to bed for the first time last night before midnight. Should be good.

OK, gotta go do some work.

I've not had an update on Penny.....so will try and call her in the next couple of days.

No comments: