Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, September 15, 2006

A work dilemma

I don't know what to do. I've got this project manager working for me, and i can't figure out a way to communicate with her. It's driving me nuts. usually i don't have any problems, but it's possible I'm expecting too much....but every time I think that, I think of other people (including myself) and i don't react that way.

The biggest issue I have is that I send emails as i would usually, she finds it intimidating, gets overwhelmed, and then continually tells me that she's got too much to do. she also emails me continuously with questions.

I've tried so many things but it's not getting any better.....

Things that drive me nuts:
- i can't just forward her emails for information; a) because i get too many questions but more importantly b) she gets freaked out by the volume of emails
- I have her be responsible for something because I never know where she's at....
- I try and explain the bigger picture to her so she underestands strategy of the group, and then how it relates to the daily job and she tolerates the conversations then ignores it
- She doesn't even TRY and figure otu what to do....she thinks I have all the answers

How the hell this person will ever make a project manager I have no blinking idea..... and that's what she wants to do. Everything is too difficult. Everything takes too long.... She doesn't even try and manage me. If I behaved like her to my boss I'd be out on my ear.

I'm at the end of my tether....and don't know what to do.

I've created:

- templates for her to work from
- created a high level strategy document so that I can demonstrate our deliverables for the business
- i spend 2 hours a week meeting with her
- I've clearly laid out her job responsibilities

Maybe I don't look at the glass half empty and that's the issue....all I know is i cannot continue.

No comments: