Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, November 09, 2007

A first

This is a work story. Part of my job, especially with so many people working for me, is to give feedback - good and bad. Usually if it's giving constructive feedback (ie criticism) I think carefully about it, the person and it ends up well. I have an individual on my team who just thinks he's "The Man"....walks around and talks to people like he's a really really bad CEO. No-one likes working with him and he just thinks he's fantastic. While he does deliver outstanding work to our clients he lets his behaviour negate all that good work. Well, this week he erupted loudly on our floor at his account manager.....needless to say this didn't go unnoticed and i've spent 3 days dealing with "he needs to be fired" to HR proceedings to counselling to dealing w/my boss.

I have never delivered feedback like I did to him. Usually when you talk to someone, ask questions they know what they've done and they can work through fixing it. This guy is something else. he got roasted by his major account manager and then called me in a room. He started blaming lots of other people....and then he aske dfor my feedback. I asked him if he wanted me to give it to him straight. He said yes. So I did. Right between the eyeballs. I have never done it quite like that before.

It was quite cathartic. Saying EXACTLY what is on your mind is I guess. I have never seen him speechless, or humbled. I'm hoping this is the start of a positive change in this individual. He has a lot to offer the company and if we can turn him around he'll be very successful. Here's hoping.

We're off out with our neighbours tonight, so headaches all around tomorrow!

Oh yeah, and I'm still at 10lb loss....so very excited. 3 people in the gym have now noticed this week, so I'm really encouraged. Yeah for a thin me:)

No comments: