Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, March 17, 2008

When is equality not equality

Call me strange, but I never want to get a job or be selected for a project based on my gender or ethinicity. Never have, probably never will. Do I think that women have to work harder than men to be successful in the corporate world? Probably. I know I've experienced a few times where I've felt guys have got away with stuff that I never could. Is it unfair? Probably.

Here's article where I think it's taking things too far... for my US readers Labour = Democrats.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=536050&in_page_id=1770

I've interviewed and recruited many times, and I've always usually had a diverse team. I can honestly say I have never, ever hired based on gender or race - it's all about skills. Certainly in my last job I had waves of hiring just guys, then just girls but never of a particular race. I find it hard to believe that in my mother country they would consider giving a job or position to someone based on those factors.

Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe I've got to do the things I've done because I worked hard for them - on my own terms.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Ummm... we already have it here... not that I think it's the right thing or fair either.

I think promoting diversity is good, setting laws to try to enforce it is a pretty lousy way to get it to work.