Weight Loss Tracker

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Work

Don't get me wrong - overall I love my job. I have an awesome boss and the people I work with are great. But sometimes I just wonder. I will say here that I'm a perfectionist, that I know I don't suffer fools gladly and I get frustrated easily when I see people who don't work as hard as I do or aren't as loyal.

My company was acquired last week and now we're this huge-ass company with a new brand etc. I think the communications through this acquisition have been great. The particular part of the organization I work in has most of the management team from my old company so a lot of the cultures and expectations aren't really changing very much. Yesterday was the day we got to meet some of the staff from the other company. They were a mixture of people - both training staff and managers. My focus here is on the managers (think VP or Director) and how they're assimilating their staff into this brand new world. We had meetings and then the day ended with drinks at a bar - there were probably 200 people in this place so it was very busy.

Now, I don't like to let it all hang out when it's business, but at the same time I do like to have fun. I see it as an opportunity to shake the hand of people I don't know and find out what they do. Now, wouldn't you have thought that these people who are trying to assimilate to the team would do exactly the same thing? Right. Well they didn't. I'd done a couple of swoops around the bar - and then I found 6 of them huddled in a little group..... these poor people. I know that not everyone's the same - but they had been told by the SVP to meet at least 6 people they don't know. Not sure how they were planning on doing that all sitting with each other. Anyway, I grabbed them, split them up (having secured assistance from another colleague) and we started introducing them to other people.

I know I should be more understanding - but c'mon people, we're all fighting for our jobs right now - you'd think you'd want to put your best foot forward, right? I think I'm most frustrated with the manager of this group - because he should know better.

Still, I had a great time - got to hang out with a few peeps. And I didn't get a headache in the morning.

Ok, thanks for reading - I feel better already:)

No comments: