Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, May 09, 2008

Green sofa

For those of you who knew us when we lived in Iowa, we had the most comfortable green sofas in the world. We had a big 3 seater then 2 loveseats, complemented with an ottoman. Man, it was comfy. When we first moved to the USA in 1996 I walked into the first cheap furniture store and bought these green sofas and a full bedroom suite (drawers, dressing table, big mirror, bed frame, bed) for about $1200. Cheap as crap, right?

When we left Iowa the sofas got split up. Carrieanne got the big one, and then Peter and Rach got one of the loveseats. Can't remember who got the ottoman. In St Louis we decided to go on a search for the same kind of thing, but newer. And that was our cream sofas. While they were cheap-ish they have never been as comfortable.

So this past week we've been in Colorado looking after Peter. He's still got the old green sofa - it's got rips, and it's totally knackered. However, it's still as comfy as ever. I started to pine for my green sofas all over again. It was compounded by going to see Sanya and Jeff. In their basement they had the EXACT green sofa - it just looked less lived in:) Even better, in their living room they had a leather version of the same thing. I didn't like the leather - I never have, it's just not cosy. I took a look at the manufacturing labels....just in case.

So.....

Yesterday, on a work day, we met one of Peter's professors for lunch (Vietnamese restaurant called "You and Mee" - the Pho (noodle soup) was awesome. I then spent the entire afternoon on the internet like a complete geek/nerd/a woman possessed looking for the damn sofa.

I found them. Yippeeeeeee. You just HAVE to love the internet. How did we survive before? I am amazed at how quickly I managed to find the sofa. I'm convinced I can sell my existing sofas on craigslist for at least $500, if not more, so I won't be out of money that much. And it's still relatively cheap - at $587 for the 3 seater sofa. I've also looked at all my points on my credit cards and I was surprised to see that if I convert the points to cash they'll give me $800. So, my sofa is free. Then also if I manage to sell the sofa on craigslist I'll be totally in the money!!

So....

Now the big question is whether to have a 3 seater and a loveseat (2 seater) 0r just a 3 seater and then get a complementary leather chair, or something similar. The big debate going on is when we have people to stay (which is quite often since we've been in NY), there would be a constant fight over getting the comfy seats - trust me, it happened when we lived in IA. I found some nice leather chairs on overstock.com (another favourite website of mine) that would go really well with the other furniture we bought and the ottoman I want. They look really comfortable - and we could put the 2nd one in our bedroom and pull it out when we needed to. We really don't need 2 sofas....but the question is why do I keep going back to wanting them.... the other thing is I really like having an ottoman - I always want to put my feet up when i sit down - I'm a short arse and my feet never hit the ground. This time though I want to go for a sturdy leather type ottoman where I can store crap underneath it (on my permanent quest for "places to put things" as we have storage space) - I found that on overstock.com too.

So, as you can see, rather than my mind being busy with lots of work stuff that I can do while being out of the office I'm totally obsessed by my green sofas. What's even weirder is that the ONLY colour this new one comes in is sage green.....which totally messes up with the wall I've just had painted poppy red:) My room'll look like a Christmas tree....so I guess I'm having that wall repainted to the paler colour.

OK, obsession rant over.....I'm off to buy all this stuff! Oh yeah, and put all the other stuff on craigslist:) I'm really hoping I end up no money out of pocket on this....now THAT would be cool.

On another note, Trev is now actively looking for a job - he's got a spiffy resume and he's talking with recruiters. The great thing is he's now only traveling Tues-Thurs so that he can interview and talk with peeps on a Mon or Fri. how cool is that? I really hope he finds something soon.

No comments: