Weight Loss Tracker

Thursday, August 07, 2008

My week off so far

I'm not sure what I expected of these few days at home, but I think I was expecting more down time. That said, we've accomplished quite a lot this week and I am really happy about that. I did have to go to the office on Tuesday, but that was planned. It ended with going to see a show called [name of show]. The cast were the writers which was even funnier. Very good show, if a little different.

Our biggest project of the week was to rearrange the second bedroom and make as much storage space as possible while trying to keep the bed and chest of drawers for visitors. This isn't as easy as just doing it because a) you need to sort out the crap you've accumulated and b) half of it is Trev's wardrobe and he has even more crap. The final goal was not to spend a lot of money - the quote for getting the closets done by a professional company was about $1000 a pop - way way too much for now, especially after all the work we've done this year.

The saving grace is IKEA. I even got Trev to agree that this would be a good start for the cheapness factor. It also has a fantastic cafeteria - i just love those meatballs!!!! Problem I have is get swayed by everything else and want to spend hours just looking and dreaming....you know what I mean, right? You'd think I'd go often given it's only a 20min car ride away but I really don't. We started looking at the wardrobes and closet bit on the main floor, then quickly realized this was ridiculous given we already had the closets. So, we headed to the marketplace and find some pretty cheap storage drawers and stuff. We bought a couple of mats as well - $300 was a lot better than the $2000 we were looking at. Not the prettiest stuff in the world, but it hold such a lot, it's sturdy and fits in the space we had. So, so cool. Very happy with that.

At the same time I sorted out the master closet (ie mine) as it's so small. I think I'm still going to buy some kind of shelves for the top of the closets, but for now we're doing ok. I love having more places to put things - it's refreshing not to see stuff out all the time.

I've also put our master bathroom back together. We only just found a light fitting online that we liked. Issue here is that the sink leaks and the builder hasn't been here all week to fix it. Even so, it's looking pretty good. I promise to post pics when the light is delivered and it actually works. My issue here is the vanity. I bought from eBay ages ago but the top is awful. It's stained already - and it wasn't cheap so I'm not very happy at all. Right now I'm trying to get in touch with the manufacturer and complain.

I leave for England on Sunday so we won't get to the pictures before I leave, but that'll be the job for September. I have a lot of the photos and stuff but I have a couple of places where I'd like some nice art - not really sure what, but probably contemporary/abstract type stuff.

The other reason we've not done too much this week is that the job interview Trev had last week is actually leading to something. He had a formal face to face second interview on Monday afternoon, and he's back there today assessing some documentation. So much for getting to see the Jersey shore or heading to Six Flags. It's just not gonna happen. It's Ok though - it's giving us time to do things together - even if it's just tidying up.

No comments: