Weight Loss Tracker

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Decade anniversary came and went

Well, obviously we were spending a lot of time thinking about it this year....September 12th, 2006 was our decade anniversary of moving to America. In some ways time has flown, in others it feels like forever. Some thoughts that spring to mind:

- the kids were 13, 14 and 16 when we moved, they're now 23, 24 and 26....grown up adults. We moved at a particularly difficult time in their lives. Thanks to the schools they attended, they settled in well and acclimatized relatively quickly. We're so proud of all of them. I still find it hard to believe they're all in their mid 20s now.

- Trev enjoyed his job traveling then, a few jobs later he's doing the same kind of thing. Loving the stress and being in the middle of it all. However, he's also now looking towards retirement and figuring out what that means to him. I struggle to see him not doing much and not working...the only time in the decade that he didn't work he drove everyone nuts. I'm sure we'll figure it all out.

- Me? I gave up work, was Mum for 3 years ensuring we all acclimatized well. We had a stable home and lots of home cooked goodies. I think this was instrumental in why we stayed so long....because we got comfortable. I've also had a number of jobs - some I've learnt things more than others.....this latest one is by far the most challenging.

- Friends....we've met some great friends along the way. Some have dwindled, but others survived and stood the test of time. BJ and Paul, Penny, Kathleen, Caroline, Amanda, Debbie, Nikki, Amelia, Greg and Theresa, Sue and Pete, John, Pete and Diane....there are loads more, but it's great to have a list. I'm not one for huge numbers of friends.....I'd rather have a few and it mean something. This means a lot to me.

- Holidays....from our first trip to Chicago when we first arrived, to a 2 week vacation in Turks and Caicos, we've seen quite a lot of the country. The most spectacular by far was the Grand Canyon....makes you realize how small you are in nature's eyes. I'd still like to see Yosemite national park, Niagara Falls, Alaska, Hawaii but there's plenty of time for that.

- Language.... so flipping different. You'd think that with both countries speaking the supposedly same language, it would hav been easy. But oh no....it's been so difficult, and continues to be. There are so many words that you just can't remember. Think it's easier for the kids as they were younger when they moved, but I'm amazed at how I still screw it up for time to time. I do now catch myself saying zee (instead of zed) occasionally, or mispronounce route (UK = root, US = rout).....but that's what makes it interesting, eh?

- Will never become a citizen while GWB is President. What a pillock. Mind you, given that we've still not got our Green Card, I'm probably jumping the gun a bit. I still feel very English, I lvoe it when I visit although some stuff frustrates me. I love the freedom America has given me, especially as a woman.

Not sure what the next 10 years holds.....but looking forward to it!

No comments: