Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, October 30, 2006

The Direct TV saga

Remember the saga of actually get cable into the apartment - well, that happened finally about 10 days ago. also remember that being a brit I want the BBCAmerica channel - which our local cable provider doesn't supply. Big deal....so we thought we'd go for satellite. We chose Direct TV. With an HD TV we wanted the HD channels and the HD receiver along with the HD DVR. ie the works....well, the works with hardware and the lowest set of channels as we never watch movies because we're always watching CSI or House on DVR. Here is the events as they transpired....

Sept 14th....move in day. Realising we needed satellite I investigated which satellite company to go for. We picked Direct TV. System ordered and paid for ($325). Scheduled for about Oct 2nd for installation.

Oct 1st - Direct TV call and say they've run out of hardware and they need to reschedule. OK....not happy, but OK. We reschedule for Oct 23rd. BTW it was here they told me that I wouldn't be charged the $325 until installation....they were wrong!

Oct 18th - realizing that both Trev and I are not around for the Satellite guy, I go online and reschedule my Oct 23rd date to Oct 29th.

Oct 22nd - call from Direct TV saying they need to reschedule because they've run out of hardware and they need to do it at least a further 2 weeks out. I explained that I'd gone online and that I've scheduled for the 29th and I don't expect to have that date moved again. they asked for proof - I'd had a confirmation email and I checked online and it definitely said Oct 29th. I also told them that if they called me on the 28th to move the appointment again I'd be going to Dish Network and they can give me my $325.

Oct 29th - install day. Started off well with the guy calling around 8.30am to say he was on his way. Oh my....what a day. it ended successfully but went on a while. Hope you keep reading:):) So, he arrived - then said he couldn't possibly install the dish etc as he didn't have access to a box in the basement. I have to say here that I could hardly understand the guy - he was from Africa (I asked him)...and I really struggled. He was also not exactly thrilled with his job so wanted any opportunity to not do the install on a Sunday morning. So, i called Trev who'd disappeared to the bathroom (sorry, TMI here...) and told him he was a chartered engineer so he'd better start talking engineering stuff with this guy as I was not letting him leave til I had TV. So...we got that bit over with - 3 hours later.... Next, we had a long discussion about the boxes I ordered. Although we have 2 TVs we only wanted a receiver and DVR for the main TV in the living room. Bedrooms are not for watching TV (movies maybe...but not TV). It appears as the website wasn't clear I'd ordered 2 HD receivers (one for each TV) and then an additional receiver DVR (DVR = Tivo). They didn't say you didn't need a receiver if you ordered the DVR so I'd ordered too many boxes. I always wondered why it cost $325! Anyhow we then had to have a VERY long conversation with both the engineer and the people on the phone so that they'd give me a refund for the 2 boxes I didn't need. thankfully I got some money back (but it took 45 mins to do that). Still not done. Next, the engineer's buddy calls and has to stop by as clearly we're keeping them from socializing. so now I have 2 dozy engineers...and they're vans are blocking everyone's parking spaces. So then they have to get a picture onthe TV.....this took another 2 hours. Oh my...........at long flipping last. They left around 4pm. Can yo ubelieve that?

Very cool though - I can now record stuff andnot watch commercials again. Fabulous

The coolest of all things though was that I realized I wanted the Biography Channel (Midsomer Murders - British thing....like to watch it) so I went online to order it....and it took 2 mins to permission the satellite. Now.....that's service!


Didn't do too much else this weekend - got a massage which was fabulous, did pilates which was also fabulous. other than that - watched the TV guys. Oh yeah - and housework/laundry. What a joyous life I live.

No comments: