Weight Loss Tracker

Saturday, October 28, 2006

What a week

Phew! I'm knackered. Last weekend was great - Caroline came to stay and while we spent more time together than originally planned we had a great time. The weather was great too - more than I can say for this weekend.
I went on my management course this week - 3.5 days of stuff. long days - 8.30-6.30 each day then they'd do something over dinner. I didn't go outside for the whole time. i think overall it was worth it, although I felt at times they were talking to new managers. I learnt the following:

- to ensure people have accountability, make sure they reiterate the actions (not you)
- stop offering solutions, force the people to do it (by use of open questions etc) - a natural tendency of mine:)

- make sure that you show enough empathy when people are frustrated, sad, angry etc. You can cut them short by summarizing, getting their agreement and moving on (need THAT for my manager as she talks for hours!!)

Have to say I did use the "ask open ended questions" tactic on Friday and it worked pretty well. You never know....I may be quiet long enough to listen. LOL

The 360 degree feedback (I had 11 people give feedback on me) was cool. it shows I'm managing my boss very well (after the APAC experience I always make sure I do that), but that I have too many things going on to do a good job with everyone else. They did teach us something to help with people stopping by and being whiny...which i get a lot - so will try that too.

You never know, I may become a new person. Hahahahahahahaha

No comments: