Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, June 22, 2007

The impossible gets me a bruise

This is a gym story. For background, because I do Pilates and Yoga I have strong abs which means thatfairly good at crunches, sit ups etc without it bothering me. My trainer, Billy, is always trying to find things that will make me say "ouch".... So for abs exercises I'm usually balanced on a stability ball with my feet on the wall doing 50 crunches (twice!) - I can do that, although it hurts.

Last weekend he thought he'd found the answer by asking me to do a "plank" for a minute. (think of doing press-ups but just holding it in the "up" position). Well, my old trainer was mean too and remember, I do pilates where this is a regular thing. I can do this. I mentioned to him that my trainer in STL (Jim) used to make me do planks with my feet on a ball so really doing a plank for a minute was nothing. Usually I don't tease Billy because it usually results in the impossible. Last weekend I have my feet on a stability ball doing a plank - it's harder as you have to balance at the same time.

Well, yesterday got ridiculous. Not only did I have my feet on a stablity ball, but he wanted me to balance on a bosu ball (that's half a stability ball). This means that you have NOTHING steady to balance on. Needless to say - I fell off. hahahahahahahaha. As you know I'm not the smallest person in the world so when I fall it's pretty spectacular - and my knee hit the edge of the bosu ball. Thought nothing of it until this morning and now I have a black bruise the size of a quarter on my left knee.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - right?

1 comment:

Beej said...

ahhhhhh, but did it make a difference to your muscles???