Weight Loss Tracker

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mum - update

So, 2 weeks after Mum's knee replacement, she's still in the hospital. She's seen at least 2 sets of women come in for the same surgery and go home after 4 days. While she's been OK in herself the past few days, it's very frustrating not recovering as quickly as everyone else. That said, the doctors and nursing staff are attentive, it's a lovely ward, and they're making sure Mum is doing all the exercises etc as she should. We were told yesterday that by Sunday night she must be able to move her knee 60 degrees. Yesterday she'd got it to about 50 and it was very painful, but she's hoping it'll be better today. If this exercise doesn't work then it looks like it'll be more surgery next week.

They have this cool machine thing that you put your leg in, and it pushes it back and forth slowly - something that just a few years ago a physiotherapist would have to do. Technology is pretty advanced which is great. Everything is just taking a lot longer than planned.

I've been here 2 weeks, and the plan was for me to assist with Mum at home. As that's not happened I'm going to be staying longer than planned. I have got 2 work days in London Mon/Tues but then I'm going to return. I'm hoping by then we'll have more news and I'll know when I'll be going back home.

I always complain about the health service in England, but I have to say it's been great. In the US, they would have sent you home to recover as they keep you in the hospital as little as you can. It's been refreshing that they're Ok having Mum hang out waiting to get fixed - that is AWESOME.

Poor Trev, he's home alone. This is the longest time I think we've ever ever been apart - and feels like forever. It's likely to be another 2 weeks at least (1 week for Mum to have the surgery, 2nd week for me to help at home) so he's being wonderfully patient. What a gem:)

I'll post more updates as I get them, but for the weekend we're in a holding pattern.

Briefly, on my ankle - it's started to hurt like crap again. I'm sure I overdid it, but it's been over a month now. It sucks. And now I have a lump on the bone in the middle of my foot - and that definitely wasn't there before. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'd go to a doctor here, but it'd take 3 months to get an xray.

More later...

No comments: