Weight Loss Tracker

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Old people

I'll say this now - this is not politically correct in anyway, but quite frankly I don't care right this minute.

I'm in England. Maybe that's it. I've had a great time the last few days visiting Mum* and hanging out with Tim, Dad and friends. Today though I ventured out to the local supermarket. I know from experience this can be traumatic to me but at 11am on a Thursday it was incredible.

A bit of background. When I was little, I was always told to respect elders, be polite, give up my seat on a train/bus etc and generally behave well. I still do this today and will always give up a seat etc if the situation needs it. Today in the shop I was blown away by the disgusting, arrogant, rude and downright pissyness of the old people. I'm not talking just ignoring you - I'm talking about smashing into people, physically pushing you out of the way etc etc. They were soooooooooooooooo rude. When I was a child, if I had acted like that I would have been told off and made to apologize. Rightly so I might add. I couldn't believe it - from the moment I walked in the store it started, and didn't end until I drove out.

Here's one situation. We're in the grocery isle, it's a little crowded as a little old lady is taking ages decided what potatoes she wants (!). That's OK, there was myself, and then 2 ladies with young children queued behind her. I kid you not, a married old couple come from behind, push the 2 year olds out of the way, smash their cart into mine and the ladies with kids and walk on out. Can you believe that? OMG - i went nuts. In my true American way I said "EXCUSE ME! DON'T MIND ME!" Ignored. What great role models this couple were to the young kids right there. NOT. The ladies looked at me and we all decided we clearly didn't have enough lines on our faces to warrant some respect. I'm 40 for pete's sake, not a 10 year old.

Another reason why I don't like England. Mum, Dad - if I EVER catch you behaving like that be sure you'll be "told off". LOL.

* and BTW, she's doing OK, still in quite a bit of pain, but managed to walk to the bathroom and back. Hope she'll be home from hospital by the weekend.

No comments: