Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, September 22, 2008

Crazy week

It's been a crazy old week. The financial markets have imploded and the world has gone crazy. As you can imagine work has been nuts. With the banks going bust it's eventually going to translate to job losses for us as the company's revenue will go down.

I'm relatively philosophical about it all - things always have a habit of crashing and then coming back up - it's just a matter of time. The credit crunch was just waiting to happen. I remember when we first moved to NY that finding out how much you could afford to borrow was an uphill struggle - we went to 3 different financial people and it was always "how much do you want to borrow?" not "you can afford x". We went round in circles because we wanted to know how much we could afford to borrow and no-one would tell us. In the end we found someone and they told us that we could borrow well over a million bucks. Knowing what our mortgage is now I shudder to think how we would ever have paid that back. I'm glad that we had what we had, even though it's still too much and we're on a budget.

I wish I understood the finer details - and I know it's affecting everything from my 401k to whether we'll be able to borrow in the future - at some point I'll figure it out. In the mean time I'll start learning the new financial market in which we operate along with all my colleagues.

In other news we went and saw the new George Clooney movie, Burn After Reading, which was pretty cool. I'm not sure Brad Pitt was convincing, but it was soooo bad it was great. Very funny if you want a chuckle. I also saw Charlie Wilson's War and that was pretty good too.

No comments: