Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, September 29, 2008

Is it the 21st century?

OMG - this article has me so mad. Clearly it's written by a man who has had his ego shattered. Does it REALLY matter in this day and age whether the woman or the man is the higher breadwinner?

To blame women's equality and education for the breakdown of families is ridiculous. While there are more single families out there, there are also more single parents who can operate independently - and all power to them. Is it ideal? Probably not. Does it work? Usually. Does it affect the kids? Yes.... but the question is would it affect them more negatively if the parents stayed together? I think that's a yes (although no expert I might add).

I'm fiercely independent (ask my parents...or my husband!!) and the thought of being blamed for a change in society is nuts. Mind you, I'm sure there's loads of people out there who would disagree with me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1063792/Bridget-Jones-generation-blame-breakdown-family.html

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Penny said...

I agree - this article is totally irritating. If you read between the lines, basically he's saying that family life is breaking down because women don't HAVE TO turn to the big, strong man to support them. So, therefor, the "ties" that bind the family isn't going to be that they can't make it on their own. Whatever! Not that I'm making it spectacularly right now, but I've done pretty well for 20 years as a single mom... I've just hit a rough patch... and I will come through it. And, I could very well have hit that rough patch with or without a man.

Of course, though - this is "threatening" to a man - who would rather not have to treat his wife so well she couldn't imagine leaving him - right? For the first time, we don't NEED them - so now they're getting scared.