Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, January 16, 2009

Bird's Eye View of a Hero

I've never seen an airplane in water before....it's kind of scary. I work in Times Square and my floor is about 1500 yards from the Hudson river. While there are a few buildings between the Hudson and where I am I still caught a glimpse of the US Airbus that went down yesterday. My colleagues saw it hit the water and the emergency doors open (I happened to be in the Ladies room at that time). We then saw it float down the river as passengers were getting off. At the same time we've got all the TV's on showing us closeups of what's going on.

The pilot is a hero. How he managed to miss one of the most densely populated areas is beyond me. The Hudson is a big river...and the cool thing is there are so many ferries that go back and forth it made it easier to reach the stranded. I'm so happy that everyone got out alive.

The thing that irritated me was the people commentating on this event. Some of the things that came out of the mouths of these people - how did they get the job? Here were my 2 favourites.... and I quote:

- "is there anyone in the helicopter?" ..... (someone in my office shouted out "nah...we're on autopilot!")
- "it was so cool....watching the plane come down. I called my girlfriend to tell her what was going on..." (guy to interviewer...)

That just says to me that something that could have been a major catastophe was not.

1 comment:

Penny said...

I think it's awesome that all the Ferries have been doing emergency first-response training. They deserve the title hero... and should be an example for other cities/countries to follow.